Peanut Butter Protein Flapjacks
Peanut Butter Protein FlapjacksRecipe by Zena Scott
We love flapjacks, but shop-bought ones are often laden with huge amounts of refined sugar, bad fats and contain paltry portions of nuts and seeds. Here is a simple, quick no-bake peanut butter protein flapjack recipe which is much tastier, healthier and crammed with goodness. You wont want shop-bought anymore after tasting these! We like to make a batch on Sunday and chill them in the fridge so we have healthy snacks throughout the working week. They are also a great healthy snack for kids.
These protein flapjacks are packed with juicy cranberries, crunchy pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, nutty flaxseed, Pulsin unflavoured pea protein powder and rolled oats, providing you with slow-release energy throughout the day and maintaining steady blood sugar levels. The nut butter adds depth of flavour and helps these bars stick together.
They make a great morning breakfast bar, a healthy addition to packed lunch boxes, a sustaining afternoon snack and are great as pre/post work out energy bars. The added bonus is these are vegan flapjacks too and are gluten free. Perfect for different diets.
If you don’t have all of the ingredients to hand or fancy trying different flavours, there are loads of variations you can make. Here are some of our favourites: Add tart goldenberries instead of cranberries. These orange tangy fellows are packed with antioxidants and are lovely and chewy.
Use chia seeds and or poppy seeds and chopped nuts instead of sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
Use cashew or almond butter instead of peanut butter.
Pulsin adds, “We love these nutritious protein flapjacks. They are simple to make and it is so easy to swap certain ingredients out to match your tastes or to use up what is left in the cupboards! We also love adding pistachio nuts to the mix as these work well with the other nuts and fruits used in the bars.”
2 tbsp Unflavoured Pea Protein Powder (soya also works well)
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
40g dried cranberries
120g peanut butter (cashew & almond butter also work well)
100ml honey or vegan substitute. eg. agave
10g sunflower seeds
150g dried figs
200g pitted dried dates
240g rolled oats, gluten-free if required
30g pumpkin seeds
- Line a 26cm X 16cm rectangular baking tray with greaseproof paper and lightly grease with a little coconut oil.
- Place pitted dates, figs, rolled oats, and almonds in a food processor, blitz to chop up into little pieces. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Add seeds, ground flaxseed, protein powder (pea and soya both work well) and cranberries. Mix well.
- Mix honey and peanut butter together in a small bowl and then add to the seedy date mix. Mix thoroughly with your hands to form a stiff dough.
- Transfer and press into the prepared baking tray and set in the fridge for about 20 mins.
- Slice up into bars. Enjoy! These keep fresh in the fridge in an airtight container for about 7-10 days.
- Made in the UK, we only use the highest quality ingredients we can get their hands on with taste, nutrition and the feel-good-factor at the heart of everything we make. Our entire range is gluten free, vegetarian or vegan (all snack bars and most protein powders are plant based) and contain no artificial ingredients, preservatives or palm oil.
- To try more of our delicious snack recipes using our super protein powders click here.