What is Keto? Keto diet explained.
The diet consists of consuming less than 50g of carbohydrate per day and around 70% of your daily macronutrients coming from fat. If followed your body will stop using glucose as its main energy source and start producing ketone bodies instead, therefore a ketogenic diet is literally a ketone-producing diet. People may decide to go on the keto diet for several reasons, including health issues or lifestyle.
Is keto right for me?
As with any diet change it is always worth consulting your doctor if you’re unsure a diet is right for you, especially if you have health issues.
What foods can you have on a ketogenic diet?
- Meat/Fish/Lactose-free dairy
- Plant fat sources – avocado and olive oil
- Leafy Greens
- Non-Starchy Veg- general rule of thumb, if it grows underground it’s a no go.
Is a ketogenic diet hard to maintain?
- Preparation is key, make sure you prep meals for when you’re on-the-go and if you’re eating out do a bit of research on what restaurants to go to.
- Most diets leave you hungry; a ketogenic diet doesn’t. Win!
- Try and create a temptation free environment, particularly at home.
- Support! Try and connect with others following the diet, join Facebook groups and follow Instagram keto bloggers for inspiration.
Can I do Keto if I’m Vegetarian/Vegan?
Yes! Just make sure you do your research and you’re getting all the nutrients your body needs from plant-based sources, supplements and of course our delicious Keto products which are both plant-based.
Vegan keto would largely consist of fat from nuts, seeds, olives, avocado, coconut and their associated oils. Tofu and meat-substitutes and nutritional supplements would likely be necessary (e.g. vitamin D3, B12, B6, Iron, Zinc, etc.).
What can take you out of ketosis?
You can fall out of ketosis if:
- You have over 50g carbs in a day*
- Large serving of carbs allowance in one sitting
- Large portion of high GI carbs e.g. dried fruit/confectionery
*The impactful amount of carbohydrate in our Keto Bar is 4.1g. We understand that some people count polyols in their carbohydrate total for the day. With regards to many polyols such as maltitol this makes sense, as there is a meaningful increase in blood glucose following maltitol ingestion. However we have used xylitol which has a negligible impact on blood glucose. Therefore we believe that it can be incorporated into even a strict Keto dieter’s plan.
We have specialist in-house nutritionist guru's who make sure all of our products are created for maximum nutritional benefit and great taste. Our vegan keto products are low in sugar, making them ideal for those following a low carb or keto diet. Our Vanilla Keto Powder is perfect for adding to shakes or for mixing into your favourite keto recipes. Perfect for factoring in to your keto meal plan.
Our best selling high protein vegan keto snack bars are perfect for those following a low carb or keto diet as a snack, a protein hit before or after the gym, or for those who are vegan or following a vegetarian keto diet that need to top up their protein intake. They also hit the sweet spot, something that is often missed whilst on a controlled diet! These make a great keto chocolate alternative and come in 3 delicious flavours: Choc Fudge & Peanut, Orange Choc & Peanut and Mint Choc & Peanut. You can also buy a keto snack bars mixed bundle, exclusive to our website.