Spooky Spider Peanut Butter Cookies
Hubble bubble, toil and trouble. Make these cookies on the double! Eye of newt and toe of frog, decorate with spiders not with dog.
Looking for the perfect Halloween treat to make with little ones? Look no further than these spooky spider peanut butter cookies!
Whip up this simple peanut butter cookie recipe and then get started on your spooky spider decoration. You can make them as spooky as you dare ready for Halloween. Why not try adding some food colouring to your white chocolate to give you spiders spooky red or green eyes. Or add jam for some extra gooey textures!
- 1 cup (250g) peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) coconut sugar or powdered stevia
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg or chia egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (100g) Medjool dates (for spiders)
- 1/2 (60g) walnuts (for spiders))
- 1/2 cup (60g) raw cacao powder (for spiders)
- 2 tbsp (32g) peanut butter (for spiders)
- 3 tbsp (60g) chocolate drops
- White chocolate or a darker chocolate if desired
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together peanut butter and coconut sugar or stevia along with baking powder.
- Stir in the egg and mix well to combine. Divide the dough into 8 - 9 large balls. Press between the palms of your hands to flatten and create an indent in each one.
- Place onto a parchment paper or greased baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove and reshape them while they are hot, pressing down the centres. Don't attempt to lift the cookies up. Leave them to cool on the tray for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your spider mix. Blend together all ingredients in your food processor; it needs to be a strong and durable one!
- Create 8 - 9 balls about the size of a ping pong ball and set to one side.
- Use the rest of the mixture to create legs for your spiders - 6 each so 48 - 54 in total.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave; it will take no more than 2 minutes. Stop and stir every 30 seconds.
- Place 1 tsp of the melted chocolate into the centre of each cooled cookie. Place one of the chocolate balls into the centre before it sets. Carefully attach the legs, dipping the end near the "head" into the chocolate centre where possible; otherwise just stick the mixture to the cookie.
- Create eyes or one large eye on your spider using white chocolate, a darker chocolate or whatever innovative tasty solution you can come up with!
- Store in the fridge for up to five days in a seal tight container. The cookies will firm up more in the fridge and become a little chewier..in the best way possible!