EASY BIRCHER PORRIDGE
I love porridge and Bircher porridge is a great way of keeping it interesting. Bircher porridge is incredibly simple; it is just rolled oats soaked overnight in milk and/or fruit juice, so takes about 3 mins to prepare. The overnight soaking means that the oats soak up all the flavour.
The fun bit is adding your toppings! I like adding a mixture of both dried and fresh fruit, especially dried cranberries and goldenberries, fresh raspberries, blueberries and grated apple. I also love adding seeds, ground flaxseed and nuts which adds nutrients and gives great texture and crunch.
To boost the nutrient profile, I love eating this with yoghurt mixed with Pulsin's Soya Protein Powder (soya bean or pea work well). If you like it sweeter, you can add a drizzle of date syrup, agave or a few chopped dates.
By using plant-based milk or fruit juice and vegan yoghurt, this recipe is suitable for vegans and if you use gluten-free oats, this recipe is suitable for coeliacs.
This makes a super healthy breakfast and brilliant snack. It lasts about 2 days in the fridge and so you can make a batch in advance easily. (Note the grated apple will oxidise and go brown, but it still tastes great!).
- 150g rolled oats (gluten-free if required)
- 300ml milk of choice (I use almond, soy or rice milk) or apple juice
- Pinch of salt
- Grated apple
- Handful of fresh blueberries and raspberries
- Handful of dried goldenberries and cranberries
- 2 tsp Ground flaxseed
- Handful of sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
- 8-10 tbsp yoghurt (vegan if preferred)
- 2 tsp Pulsin Unflavoured Soya Protein Powder
- Date syrup, agave or 2-3 chopped dates if you like things sweeter
- Soak the rolled oats and salt in milk or apple juice and leave overnight in the fridge.
- Grate the apple and mix with the soaked oats. Spoon into 2 bowls.
- Top with fresh and dried fruit, pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
- Dust with ground flaxseed.
- Stir the protein powder into the yoghurt and spoon a generous helping into each bowl. Add extra sweetener if required. Enjoy!