Vegan Protein Crepes
Get flipping! Hands up who wants healthy protein vegan crepes! These crepes are soft in the middle and crispy at the edges. Mmm! Such yummy joy! I remember when I was little thinking that crepes Suzette was the epitome of sophistication and so difficult to make, but these crepes couldn’t be easier, needing only a handful of ingredients and they are healthy and delicious to boot!
The hardest thing about these crepes is deciding what filling and topping to have with them! Mine depends on my mood, sometimes I only want simple lemon and coconut sugar or stevia, sometimes orange and cinnamon. When I want to make them a bit more special, I opt for yoghurt, banana, chocolate sauce, fresh fruit and berries.
Having crepes for breakfast is such a sociable event for me. I love seeing who can toss the crepe without dropping it and who makes the most stuffed or most creative crepe. How about a lazy morning of crepes, a cafetière of coffee or mugs of green tea and freshly squeezed orange juice?! Bliss!
To boost the nutritional profile, I have included Pulsin plant-based protein powder into the batter mixture.
- 90g plain flour (gluten free if required; coconut flour also works)
- 500ml plant milk
- 1 ½ tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tbsp. maple syrup or coconut sugar or 1/4 tsp. stevia
- 40g Pulsin Unflavoured Protein Powder (I recommend pea or soya)
- ½ tbsp. coconut oil to cook
- Filling and topping ideas: Lemon and coconut sugar, orange and cinnamon, yoghurt with fresh berries, figs, dried goldenberries, chia seeds, kiwi fruit,
- In a large bowl add the flour and protein powder and mix to combine. Make a well in the centre and add the plant milk. Using a whisk, combine the milk with the dry ingredients to form a smooth batter.
- Whisk in the sweetener of choice and hemp seeds or chia seeds. Add a little more milk if the consistency is too thick (it should coat the back of a spoon).
- Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat and melt a little coconut oil. Add enough batter to coat 2/3 of the pan thinly. Then take the pan briefly off the hob and tilt it round so that the crepe forms a uniform thin layer. Return to the hob and cook for about 90 seconds before flipping onto the other side to cook for the same amount of time.
- Stack up the crepes so that they do not dry out.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up then fill and top as desired. Enjoy!.