SUPERFOOD BAOBAB ENERGY BALLS
These are my favourite pre-workout snacks; they taste delicious, give me an energy boost and help me maintain stable blood sugar levels. They contain all my favourite things: coconut oil (I use an extra virgin organic variety), ground oats, ground flaxseed, Baobab super fruit powder and protein powder. Lightly sweetened with honey, or agave, these tasty morsels are free from refined sugars and simply bursting with goodness!
Baobab powder is made from the ground pulp of ‘the tree of life’, a tree native to Africa. It delicious tangy citrus flavour, is packed with vitamin C, fibre and anti-oxidants, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, zinc & vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, B7; nutrients to give you an energy boost, support the immune system and reduce fatigue.
These balls are so simple to make, require no baking and can be whizzed up with the help of a blender or food processor in about 25-30 mins. They also freeze well, so you can make a batch and take them out as required. I also like having these as petit fours with tea or coffee after a meal when you fancy just a little something sweet…
- 80g quick cook oats (use gluten-free if required)
- 35g coconut oil
- 50g nut butter. Peanut, cashew and almond all work well
- 30g baobab superfruit powder
- 75g raw almonds
- 30g honey or vegan substitute, like agave
- 3g salt
- Put the oats in a blender and food processor & blitz to form a fine powdery oat flour.
- Then add the remaining ingredients and whizz again to combine.
- Transfer the contents into a bowl. Using your hands, roll into small balls about 2cm in diameter. Chill these balls for 15 mins in the freezer to allow to set. Enjoy!