Prep - 5 Minutes
Cook - 10 Minutes
Peanut Butter Protein Doughnuts
These vegan and gluten-free healthy protein doughnuts can be whisked up in minutes and are a dinky little sweet treat that you can jazz up as much or as little as you fancy with icing and all or none of the potential toppings.
- 50g buckwheat flour
- 20g Pulsin Unflavoured Rice Protein
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 45g smooth peanut butter
- 90g banana puree*
- 100ml oat milk
- 50g granulated sugar of choice, coconut or raw cane sugar provide a bit more depth of flavour
- *Make sure it’s pureed ripe fresh banana or jarred, not a mashed banana, you don’t want lumps!
- 2 tbsp (20g) cocoa or raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp (14g) coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the glaze
- Preheat oven to 160C (160F).
- Grease a non-stick doughnut pan with spray oil.
- Place banana, peanut butter, almond milk, apple cider vinegar and sugar into a blender or NutriBullet (or place into a large pyrex jug). Blend until smooth (use a hand blender if using jug). Add in the buckwheat flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder and vanilla extract and blend once more until smooth. If using banana puree you can simply whisk all the ingredients together.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the donut tray. Do not overfill as the doughnuts will rise. Leave about 1 cm above the mixture in the tray.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes
- Carefully remove from the tray. Use a toothpick to release the doughnuts from the edges before popping out. Cool on a wire rack.
- While the doughnuts cool mix together icing ingredients. Place into a shallow small bowl; at least the same diameter as the doughnuts!
- Place the doughnuts one at a time bottom side down (the smooth part which was facing down in the doughnut tray) into the icing. Lift carefully, tap of excess and place onto a baking paper lined tray icing side up.
- Sprinkle with toppings if desired...chopped peanut butter cups or peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, granola, coconut flakes, bee pollen, marshmallows, cookie crumbles etc…
- Allow glaze to set or eat straight away.
- Best consumed within 24- 48 hours. Store in a seal tight container at room temperature.