JUMBO SWEET POTATO PROTEIN ROSTI
A jumbo sweet potato protein rosti to switch things up from the usual pancakes. This was incredible. Naturally sweet, fried up in coconut oil it stayed soft in the middle and crisped up nicely around the edges.
Breakfast, both of them, are the two meals that have to fill me up. There is nothing worse than ending up ravenous in the middle of a workout or when your post workout second breakfast does little to curb your bottomless pit like appetite.
This breakfast did a stellar job. When I initially started introducing more carbohydrates I found myself not feeling truly satisfied. On my high carb day I would feel full and a little bloated yet still wanting something more after my meals aka more fat! My body and appetite seems to have adjusted; though as I type this post lunch I’m contemplating a snack because the hunger monster is coming back to bite me in the butt today!
This rosti was so incredibly easy to make and really tasty! I topped it off with my high protein cream “cheese”… concocted quite recently when I reintroduced the baked sweet potato for breakfast and it was in need of a more sweet than savoury protein rich filling.
The key to this rosti being awesome is precooking the sweet potato. I’ve tried making one with uncooked sweet potato and because you’re cooking it up in such a short amount of time unless you like eating raw sweet potato then it’s best avoided!
These are also incredible topped with a poached/fried egg or two, some smashed avocado and hot sauce! DIVINE!
- Blanch or steam sweet potato noodles for about 5 minutes. Drain and allow to cool for 5 minutes before squeezing to remove excess moisture.
- Blend together salt, egg, cinnamon and whey protein.
- Once blended mix with sweet potato noodles.
- Melt coconut oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- Place sweet potato noodle mix into the pan and form a large flat round…approx. 7 – 8 inches in diameter.
- Cook for 4 minutes, gently flip and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Serve topped with protein “cream cheese”.