What is Keto?
The diet consists of consuming less than 50g of carbohydrate per day and around 70% of your daily macronutrients coming from fat. If followed your body will stop using glucose as its main energy source and start producing ketone bodies instead, therefore a ketogenic diet is literally a ketone-producing diet. People may decide to go on the keto diet for several reasons, including weight loss, health issues or lifestyle.
Is keto right for me?
As with any diet change it is always worth consulting your doctor if you’re unsure a diet is right for you, especially if you have health issues.
What foods can you have on a ketogenic diet?
- Meat/Fish/Lactose-free dairy
- Plant fat sources – avocado and olive oil
- Leafy Greens
- Non-Starchy Veg- general rule of thumb, if it grows underground it’s a no go.
Is a ketogenic diet hard to maintain?
- Preparation is key, make sure you prep meals for when you’re on-the-go and if you’re eating out do a bit of research on what restaurants to go to.
- Most diets leave you hungry; a ketogenic diet doesn’t. Win!
- Try and create a temptation free environment, particularly at home.
- Support! Try and connect with others following the diet, join Facebook groups and follow Instagram keto bloggers for inspiration.
Can I do Keto if I’m Vegetarian/Vegan?
Yes! Just make sure you do your research and you’re getting all the nutrients your body needs from plant-based sources, supplements and of course our delicious Keto products which are both plant-based.
Vegan keto would largely consist of fat from nuts, seeds, olives, avocado, coconut and their associated oils. Tofu, and Tempah s meat-substitutes and nutritional supplements would likely be necessary (e.g. vitamin D3, B12, B6, Iron, Zinc, etc.)
What are MCTs ?
MCT (medium chain triglycerides from coconut oil) is a ketone boosting fat, making them ideal for those following a low carb or Keto diet, we use MCT in our Choc Fudge Keto Bar and our Vanilla Keto Powder.
What can take you out of ketosis?
You can fall out of ketosis if:
- You have over 50g carbs in a day*
- Large serving of carbs allowance in one sitting
- Large portion of high GI carbs e.g. dried fruit/confectionery
*The impactful amount of carbohydrate in our Keto Bar is 4.1g. We understand that some people count polyols in their carbohydrate total for the day. With regards to many polyols such as maltitol this makes sense, as there is a meaningful increase in blood glucose following maltitol ingestion. However we have used xylitol which has a negligible impact on blood glucose. Therefore we believe that it can be incorporated into even a strict Keto dieter’s plan.
We have specialist in-house nutritionist guru's who make sure all of our products are created for maximum nutritional benefit and great taste. Our keto products are low in carbs & sugar and contain MCT (medium chain triglycerides from coconut oil) which is a ketone boosting fat, making them ideal for those following a low carb or Keto diet.