You’ll delight in these Superfood Chocolate Truffles
- 80g mixed nuts of choice (eg. cashews, macadamias, walnuts, pecans, almonds. In the photos I have used cashews and macadamias)
- 40g ground almonds
- 25g protein powder (soya bean, pea and whey protein powder work well)
- 2 tbsp of superfood powder of choice - Matcha green tea, Omega-3 superpowder, Vitalising superpowder)
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp liquid sweetener (agave, date syrup)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp nut butter of choice (eg. cashew, almond, peanut butter, hazelnut butter)
- 100g No Added Sugar Chocolate Drops
- Goji berries
- Crushed nuts (eg. macadamias, pistachio)
- Unsweetened coconut
- Flaked almonds half dipped in Matcha green tea powder
Need a chocolate fix? Try these healthy chocolate truffles! Not only are they free from refined sugar, but they are also crammed with goodness; nuts, nut butter, coconut oil, protein powder, cacao and a super food powder of your choice.
I love using different super food powders to create different flavours, which also provide different nutritional benefits. My favourites are Matcha green tea powder, Omega-3 acai berry superpowder and Vitalising goldenberry turmeric superpowder.
Matcha green tea is rich in powerful anti-oxidants. Omega-3 superpowder is a fantastic blend of acai berry, inchi and coconut, giving you a terrific omega-3, vitamin B1 and C boost. Vitalising superpowder is a delicious blend of goldenberry, turmeric and coconut, to give an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, vitamin B1 and C boost. So tuck in to medicinal guilt-free chocolates!
These truffles are incredibly easy to make; a batch of approx. 26 truffles can be whipped up in just 35-40 minutes. No baking required! All you need is a blender to mix everything together, roll the mixture into balls and decorate. You can leave the truffles ‘naked’ or roll them in coatings like cacao powder, chopped nuts and unsweetened desiccated coconut. I love dipping my balls into melted dark chocolate (sugar-free) before decorating them.
With the theme of Halloween coming up, I have decorated the Green tea truffles with flaked almonds half dipped in Matcha green tea (which I think looks like witches finger nails!) and Vitalising truffles with scarlet goji berries (which look a little like lips!)
For a more classical finish, I have also decorated the Omega-3 acai berry truffles with chopped macadamia nuts (which can be toasted first if you wish), which gives these truffles a satisfying crunch. (They also remind me of a certain shop-bought chocolate with hazelnut filling and gold wrapper! Clue: “Oh Monsieur, you are spoiling us!!”).
These truffles are great not just for Halloween, but also, as petit fours to finish a meal and make a lovely gift; just pop into a clean jam jar, add a label and ribbon. A perfect gift for a clean-eating friend! These keep well in the fridge for about 7-9 days and so can easily be made in advance.
Other superfood powders which work well are:
- Baobab (for a lemon tangy flavour),
- Maca root powder (for a nutty butterscotch flavour),
- Camu camu powder (for a tart tangy flavour),
Fillings: Add some crunchiness to your truffles by adding 2 tbsp puffed crispies (gluten-free if required) or whey protein crispies (for non-vegans) after the mixture has been blended together. You will need 1 tbsp more nut butter to accommodate the extra dry ingredients.
Coatings: roll the truffle in chopped up freeze-dried raspberries and strawberries, chopped pistachios or unsweetened desiccated coconut.
Toppings: goldenberries, freeze dried fruit slices, dried apricot slithers, halved pistachios or walnuts.
- If you are dipping the truffles in chocolate, line a tray with greaseproof paper. Set aside.
- Place all the truffles ingredients in a blender, except the cashew butter. Whizz to mix.
- Then add the cashew butter and whizz. The mixture becomes starts to clump together.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into approx. 26 balls.
- Leave as naked truffles or or if decorating with chocolate: Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or in a bain marie. Using a metal spoon, dip each truffle in melted chocolate, place on a tray lined with greaseproof paper. Decorate with crushed nuts, eg. chopped up macadamias, or simply top with a goji berry or flaked almond which has been dipped in Matcha green tea powder.
- Allow to set in the freezer for at 5 mins. Enjoy!