Wild rice salad with turmeric curry dressing and Kale
- 120g red and wild rice (alternatively, use wholemeal or just wild rice)
- 360ml vegetable stock (I use bouillon powder)
- 50g kale, tough stalks removed
- 1 large carrot, cut into strips
- 3 celery sticks, sliced finely
- 1 large red pepper, sliced into strips
- 20g chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- 60g dried goldenberries
- 30g dried cranberries
- 30g raw hazelnuts
- 30g walnuts
- 6 large radishes, finely sliced
- 50g walnut halves or pecans
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric or Vitalising Superpowder
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp protein powder (soya bean or pea both work well; these make the dressing more creamy and boost the nutrient profile)
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp stevia
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
Who said salads are boring? Try this deliciously satisfying, scrumptious, wild rice kale salad dressed in a mild curry dressing. This salad is great when you want to be healthy, but want a satisfying meal full of flavour and crunch. You can eat this salad warm or cold, making this a super choice for the cooler months, but great in the summer too.
The flavours of this salad are reminiscent of a healthy curry! What a great way to eat clean. This is a far cry from my childhood memory of gloopy yellow Coronation chicken curry!
This cheery salad combines crunchy nuts with crisp vegetables, nutty red and wild rice, sweet dried cranberries, zingy dried goldenberries, and fresh herbs, lovingly coated in a mild spicy curry dressing. Delicious! I have used red camargue and wild rice as I love the complex nutty flavour and it soaks up the dressing without becoming soggy (wholemeal rice works well too).
This salad is a great crowd-pleaser, being suitable for vegans, vegetarians, diabetics, coeliacs, the health conscious and those following low-carb, sugar-free and raw food diets. Having said this, it tastes so good, even those not intending to eat healthily will enjoy it!
This yummy salad is quick and easy to make; simply a case of boiling up some rice, chopping up some veg and mixing everything together.
This salad is super as a main meal or as an accompaniment. It keeps well in the fridge for about 3-4 days and is great for packed lunches (although you may want to put the dressing in a separate container to ensure all stays crisp and crunchy).
- Wash the rice and cook using vegetable stock (which adds flavour), as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- In the meanwhile: prepare the vegetables and mix together in a large bowl.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once cooked, allow the rice to cool a little before adding to the bowl of vegetables. Mix well.
- Toss the salad with the curry dressing and serve.