- 37g rice flour
- 30g ground gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 vanilla extract (optional)
- 3 tbs water
- 50g no added sugar chocolate drops
- 1 tbs ground chia seeds
- 1 tbs pea protein
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 70ml Koko plain milk
- 1/4 tbs cacao butter
As a continuation of Veganuary, I set out to make gluten free and vegan pancakes that were fluffy, tasty and wholesome.
It took a few iterations to get the mix to bind together without eggs and was really satisfying when I figured it out by using Chia seeds and banana as non egg binders!
These pancakes are vegan, gluten free and contain added protein and Omega 3 from wholefood sources.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl (pea protein, rice flour, oat flour, baking powder, sea salt and cinnamon).
- In another bowl, mix the ground chia seeds with the water until a paste is made. Set for 5 mins.
- Add the Chia paste (or “chia egg”) with other wet ingredients in a separate bowl (these include the Koko milk (or other plant milk), vanilla extract and melted cacao butter). Add sliced bananas and blend until smooth. You also can add smashed bananas, so you won't need to blend.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients with a blender or with a wood spoon.
- Place 2 heaped tbs of batter in a hot pan lightly greased with cacao butter and cook for about two minutes on each side. The cacao butter gives the pancakes a lovely rich crispy texture.
- Serve with sliced banana, raspberries, cinnamon and/or melted Pulsin No Added Sugar Chocolate Drops or maple syrup. You can melt these chocolate drops in a bowl over a boiling water pot, making your own water bath.