Turmeric Lemon Dip (Vegan Mayonnaise)
- 1 plump garlic clove
- 2 tsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Juice from half a lemon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Optional: if you like things sweeter, add ¼ tsp stevia or coconut sugar or 1 date for sweetness
- 250g tofu (silken works best)
- 1 tbsp protein powder (pea, soy or whey)
- ½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or whole grain mustard or wasabi (all work well!)
- Pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
This dip is so easy to make; you can whizz it up in minutes! It is creamy from tofu, fresh and tangy from lemon juice, has umami saltiness from miso paste and a gingery kick from turmeric.
What is more, this dip is incredibly good for you! It is high in protein and low in fat (principally from the base, tofu), contains probiotic miso paste and turmeric adds anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
This dip makes a deliciously healthy substitute for mayonnaise requiring only a fraction of the amount of oil and so great for dieters and the health conscious. Being dairy-free, it is vegan too!
This dip keeps in the refrigerator for 3 days. It is a great alternative to mayonnaise and works well with crudités, in sandwiches, with veggie sausages and burgers and as an accompaniment to salads. I love this dip with my beetroot and chickpea burgers and my broccoli spinach veggie balls (recipe coming soon).
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and whizz until you form a paste. If you like it runnier, add a tad more olive oil.