Roast Squash, Quinoa and Kale Salad
- Large squash peeled and cut into 2.5cm chunks (approx. 900g)
- 2 red onions, peeled amd cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil or coconut oil, melted
- 120g quinoa
- 140g black kale
- Large handful of parsley, finely chopped
- Large handful of dried cranberries
- Handful of sunflower seeds
- Handful of pumpkin seeds
- Optional: Sprinkle of ground flaxseed
- 2 plump garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 3 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast or 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan for non-vegans
- 4 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: for a creamy dressing with protein powder, reduce the nutritional yeast by 1 tbsp or parmesan by 3/4 tbsp & substitute for protein powder. I use pea or soya bean varieties.
A crunchy, fresh and satisfying salad with creamy nutty dressing.
Want a simple salad high in plant-based protein which is satisfying and easy to prepare? Look no further! This nutrient-dense salad fits the bill. You have black kale wilted in a tahini nutty dressing, protein-rich quinoa, sweetness coming from roasted veg and dried cranberries and crunch from seeds.
I have layered this salad up in a large salad bowl, but feel free to mix everything up if you prefer.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Line a large baking sheet or tray with a little coconut spray oil.
- In the baking sheet or tray, coat the diced squash, red onion and squash chunks with rapeseed oil or melted coconut oil. Roast in the oven for 30 mins until all vegetables are soft (I test with a fork!). Allow to cool.
- Rinse the quinoa & boil for 16-20 mins. Fluff up with a fork and allow to cool.
- In a bowl, mix together the salad dressing ingredients.
- Using your hands, massage about a half of the salad dressing into the kale.
- Transfer the kale into a large serving bowl.
- Top with the cooled quinoa and the roasted vegetables.
- Sprinkle over with chopped parsley, dried cranberries, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and ground flaxseed if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle over the remaining salad dressing and serve with wedges of lemon for extra zing. Enjoy!