Plantain Protein Breakfast Cake
- 225g (8oz) of RIPE plantain
- 4 large eggs or 1 cup (250ml) egg whites
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp (20g) Organic Whey Concentrate
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tbsp Coyo Vanilla yogurt
- 1 tbsp Organic Whey Concentrate
- 1 heaped tsp raw cacao powder
- 5 drops liquid stevia
- Cacao nibs for sprinkling
A delicious way to ease yourself into the New Year!
Made with simple ingredients this is a naturally sweet indulgent breakfast cake. With ample protein and carbs to refuel those muscles, it’s the perfect post workout fare!
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Blend together ingredients in a high-speed blender. The plantain must be super duper ripe (blackened skin) to ensure the end result is sweet, cake and a little sticky. An unripe plantain, even one with yellow skin, will yield a starchier, savoury end result!
- Pour batter into a non-stick frying pan; grease with 1/2 tsp melted coconut oil if unsure about its ability to be truly non-stick!
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes if desired or serve straight away.
- Mix together whey protein, raw cacao powder and stevia drops in a small ramekin with about 1 tbsp water; you want a thick icing consistency.
- Slice cake into 6- 8 slices; 3-4 per person, and top with Coyo, protein icing and sprinkle with cacao nibs.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to two days in a seal tight container.