Oven-baked Mediterranean Risotto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g risotto rice
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can cannellini or butter/lima beans, drained
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 courgette/zucchini, diced
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 3 roasted red peppers from a jar, drained
- Handful of parsley leaves, chopped
This is a simple vegan dish to prepare and, because it is baked in the oven, the effort involved is minimal.
It is full of Mediterranean flavours and red peppers are one of the best vegetable sources of vitamin C, which can help lower histamine and reduce allergy symptoms. For protein, I add a can of beans at the end of cooking.
- Heat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil in large ovenproof casserole dish and fry the onion and garlic for 2–3 minutes until softened.
- Add the courgette/ zucchini and fry for 1 minute, coating the pieces in the oil.
- Stir in the rice, and fry for a further minute.
- Pour in the stock, tomatoes and peppers and bring to a simmer, stirring well.
- Cover the dish and bake in the oven for 25 minutes until the rice is tender and creamy.
- Stir in the beans and leave to sit for a couple of minutes.
- Serve topped with the chopped parsley.