Mushroom Oat Risotto
- 1/2 cup (60g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chestnut mushrooms or mushrooms of choice chopped
- 1/4 tsp (just a pinch) of vegetable bouillon
- 60ml (1/4 cup) unsweetened almond milk
- Pink Himalayan Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 250ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil or ghee melted
- 1 tbsp (10g) Brown Rice Protein
- 1 -2 tbsp roast hazelnuts, skins removed, roughly chopped
- Sprig of thyme to garnish!
Thick and creamy with just a little bit of bite. This is a delicious alternative to your standard rice risotto. Wholegrain, cooks in under 10 minutes, and a great excuse to eat another bowl of oats during the day!
This is given a little protein boost with Pulsin’s Brown Rice Protein to keep it vegan friendly. The same amount of pea can also be used and incorporated in the same way depending on your dietary preferences.
- Add oats, boiling water and vegetable bouillon to a pot. Place over a medium heat, stir and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add melted oil or ghee to a pan over a medium heat.
- Fry mushrooms in the pan for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Remove and place on kitchen paper to drain excess water for just a minute.
- Mix protein with almond milk in a shaker or blend using a hand blender.
- Add protein mix to the oats, stir to combine. Cook through for a minute and then add in the mushrooms.
- Heat through for one more minute.
- Taste and season if necessary; the vegetable bouillon I use was all the seasoning mine needed!
- Serve up in a bowl, top with chopped hazelnuts, black pepper and a sprig of thyme if you're feeling fancy.