Miso Roasted Aubergines
- 1 generous tsp. miso paste
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. water
- 1tsp. tahini
- 1 large handfuls of cherry tomatoes (about 30), halved
- ½ tsp chia seeds
- ½ -3/4 tsp. soy sauce or tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 medium-large aubergine
- 1 tsp. Pulsin Unflavoured Pea Protein Powder
- To garnish: A sprinkle of toasted black sesame seeds
Do you say aubergine or eggplant? (I say aubergine!). With it being the start of the aubergine season, I thought I’d create a roasted aubergine dish. A random fact here: did you know aubergines are actually a fruit? (They grow from a flowering plant and contain seeds!)
Just imagine biting into creamy roasted aubergine topped with juicy sweet cherry tomatoes, a savoury miso umami layer and fragrant toasted black sesame seeds. The cherry tomatoes burst upon roasting, releasing their juices into the aubergine boat below. The miso paste mix contains chia seeds, which adds extra protein, omega-3s and fibre, but also serves to soak up these juices to make an instant sauce. How easy is that!
To boost up the miso-paste mixture, I have added a little protein powder, which makes the paste really creamy!
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Slice the aubergine in half lengthways.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- In a small bowl mix together all the miso layer ingredients to form a paste. Using a knife, apply an even layer of the miso paste mixture onto each aubergine half.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Load up each aubergine half with the cut cherry tomatoes.
- Roast in the oven for 18-20 mins until the tomatoes start browning.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle over with some toasted black sesame seeds and hemp seeds. Serve.