Healthy raspberry ripple and acai berry ice cream
Raspberry Ripple Ingredients
- 50g fresh raspberries
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- ½ tbsp. water
- 1/8th stevia (or ¼ tsp. coconut sugar)
Ice Cream Ingredients
- 180g frozen raspberries
- 1 small frozen banana (about 100g)
- ¼ tsp. stevia (or 1/2 tsp. coconut sugar)
- 1 tbsp. protein powder (soya bean and pea varieties work well)
- 1 tbsp. milk of choice (cashew, almond milk, soy and oat milk work well)
- 2 tsp. Omega-3 superpowder
Enjoy the taste of summer with this no added sugar raspberry ripple and acai berry ice cream! It brings back nostalgic memories of when I was growing up, licking ice cream at the seaside (after burying dad in sand!). Of course, this is a healthy and plant-based version and it tastes so much better than commercial varieties. It is really popular with children as well as grown-ups; maybe because of its natural vibrant pink colour!
This ice cream includes antioxidants and fibre from the berries and omega-3 fatty acids from chia seeds and the omega-3 superpowder. I love adding some protein powder too (soya bean and pea varieties work well), but this is optional. To sweeten this ice cream, without adding refined sugar, I have used a little stevia, but if preferred, you could use a little coconut sugar. The ripple sauce is simply mashed raspberry with chia seeds, a little water and stevia (coconut sugar also works fine). It adds a decadent (yet healthy!) touch.
This recipe is also quick to make; the ice cream takes 3 mins and the raspberry ripple sauce takes 2 mins. All you need to do is freeze your raspberries and bananas beforehand!
- Make the ripple first as the sauce needs to thicken. In a small bowl, add the ripple sauce ingredients. Mash the raspberries using the back of a fork mixing it in with the other ingredients.
- Now make the ice cream. Add all ice cream ingredients, except the milk into a blender or food processor. Whizz to combine.
- The mixture will transform from clumps of frozen fruit to a crumbly mass and then start binding together. At this stage, add the milk and continue to whizz. The mixture will now transform into a creamy yet dairy-free ice cream.
- Spoon into a bowl and top with the raspberry ripple sauce and if desired, some cacao nibs. Enjoy.