Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Granola
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Handful of sugar free chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups jumbo oats
- Heaped handful of currants
I’ve made a fair few batches of granola in my time and I can hands down tell you now that this is my ultimate favourite recipe so far. One of the main factors in that might just be because it’s gingerbread flavoured, which is my current obsession at the moment. That and pecan butter..
Granola is such a great thing to make for weekday breakfasts because you can cook up a huge batch of it with ease and then you’ll have a delicious breakfast and snack ready and waiting for you for the week ahead. I warn you though, this is seriously moorish and I could easily sit and demolish the whole jar full! Not only is making your own granola a pretty straight forward process, but it probably works out a little more cost effective and will usually be a bit healthier than buying a store bought brand as well. There are now some great granola brands out there, that produce all natural granolas with lower sugar contents than the traditional stuff; but there are also still lots of products that do contain lots of refined sugars and processed ingredients. Like I always say, making your own meals is a great way to avoid this, as you will know exactly what’s going in there and I actually find cooking to be really therapeutic and enjoyable too!
This is a pretty simple granola recipe and uses 7 ingredients that I already had stored in my kitchen cupboard. The sugar free chocolate chips might be slightly more difficult to find, but you could always substitute this for something else, or use your favourite raw chocolate brand instead. Similarly, if you don’t want to use maple syrup, you can always mix this up and opt for honey, rice syrup or agave. Recipes like this are pretty adaptable and I think healthy cooking should be all about what works best for you and fits into your lifestyle.
Affordability is also a pretty big aspect with this I feel, as lots of raw dessert and healthy baking recipes can result in being rather costly.. believe me I know! I’m a huge fan of making raw vegan desserts and cakes, but using all of those ingredients isn’t necessarily something that i’d do everyday for my average meals! These things are still special treats and only something that I would tend to make on a weekly basis or for a special occasion. This granola however, can be pretty purse friendly.. and you don’t even really need to use any equipment for it either, so minimal washing up! What’s not to like about it?
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a tray with baking paper.
- Place all of the dry ingredients into a bowl apart from the currants and chocolate.
- Gently melt the coconut oil and stir in the maple syrup and mixed spice. Once these are all melted and well combined, pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer the granola onto your baking tray and bake in the oven for around 22 minutes. Check every 5 or so minutes and toss the granola to insure it doesn't burn.
- Once your granola is nice and golden brown, removed from the oven and allow to cool. Stir through the currants and chocolate chips and store in an airtight container/jar.