Dairy-free Pineapple, Orange and Goldenberry Ice cream
- 70g frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 medium frozen ripe banana (90g)
- 1 tbsp. dried goldenberries
- 1 tbsp. lime juice or milk (plant-based if required)
- 70g frozen orange segments (4-5 segments from a large orange)
- 20g (1/4 small) avocado
- 1 tbsp. protein powder (soya bean or pea)
- 1/8th tsp. stevia or 1/2 tsp. maple syrup, brown rice syrup or date syrup
Say goodbye to unhealthy ice cream and say hello to healthy ice cream! Have you ever looked at the ingredient list of standard shop-bought ice cream? It is usually high in refined sugar, synthetic flavourings, colourings, and preservatives. So why not give this delicious healthy ice cream recipe a go?
It tastes so much better than processed shop-bought varieties and contains only healthy ingredients. It can be made sugar-free (by using a pinch of stevia) and is bursting with goodness; fresh fruit, dried superfruit goldenberries, a little avocado, optional protein powder and a tiny amount of lime juice or plant-based milk to help it all bind together. (Maybe we should call this ‘Nice-cream!).
What is more, it is quick to make…you can whip this up in under 5 minutes (using a blender) and is a great way to encourage children (and perhaps adults too!) to eat more fruit.
This ice cream is packed with nutrition; antioxidants and anti-inflammatories, fibre, vitamins and minerals from the fresh and dried fruit, good fats from avocado, and protein from the goldenberries and protein powder.
But how does this taste I hear you ask? You have tropical sweet flavours from the pineapple and orange interspersed with chewy tart goldenberries. Creaminess is imparted by the frozen banana and avocado…you wont even miss the dairy! Yum yum, I think I have to break now to make some!
- Place all ingredients in a blender of high speed-processor. Blend to combine. Initially the mixture looks unpromising (you will see lumpy crumbs), but continue blending and the crumbs will get finer and then miraculously bind together to transform into the ice cream.
- Scoop into a bowl and serve. Enjoy!