Chocolate Pecan Butter Protein Bars
- 1/3 cup (90g) pecan butter
- 30 drops liquid stevia
- 160ml (2/3 cup) boiling water
- 1/3 cup (40g) coconut flour
- 180g (6 scoops) whey protein concentrate
- 1 scoop (20g) whey protein concentrate
- 1 tbsp (10g) raw cacao powder
- 5-10 drops liquid stevia (I used dark chocolate flavour
- 1 tbsp chopped pecans for topping
Pretty much the best protein bars I’ve ever eaten… Fudgy buttery bars with a sweet chocolate frosting and a final flourish of chopped pecans for a bit of crunch.
I’m a protein bar addict, self confessed. They are my favourite daily treat. I like knowing I’m getting in a fair amount of protein as well as satisfying my sweet tooth all in one fudgy bite!
I’ve been experimenting with flavours and topping combinations A LOT and these are pretty much the best I’ve made to date. Granted I do say that quite a bit when it comes to new recipes, but I like tantalising my tastebuds in new and exciting ways! Meridian’s new pecan butter is so darn good and forms the basis of these bars with Pulsin’s Whey Protein Concentrate. You could use the Whey Protein Isolate but the Concentrate results in a smoother creamier finish and is a must when it comes to creating a silkier consistency icing.
I like to leave my sweet treat to the end of the day; that said I more often than not have a post workout stack of pancakes or a mighty jumbo one topped with some protein frosting or nut butter. When asked do I have a sweet tooth I usually say no. It’s not something I particularly crave but I put that down to satisfying it before it becomes an issue. I don’t deprive myself and do my best to make time to create meals that both nourish my body and that I can truly enjoy. Some more than others! The past weekend I was working at Wellfest and so nourishment came first, the same will take precedence this week as we take on the National Ploughing Championships.
Having a batch of protein bars on hand each and every week means knowing I have something to look forward to before bed, ending the day on a high note with no second guessing or feeling of guilt. I’ve been in a place where foods were banned, seen as good and bad and associated with reward and punishment. I eat to fuel my body first and foremost on both a physical and mental level which means having foods that I truly enjoy!
Store bought protein bars leave me feeling sluggish, bloated and more often than not just craving more due to the artificial ingredients, additives and preservatives. These homemade protein bars are so darn simple to make and can be switched up flavour wise so simply with different nut butters, and alternative natural sweeteners like cinnamon, vanilla, maca, lucuma powder and even matcha!
- Blend together boiling water, pecan butter and stevia in your food processor.
- Add whey protein and blend to combine.
- Finally, add the coconut flour and process to combine.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Line a 1lb loaf tin with baking paper and grease with coconut oil.
- Place mix into you prepared tin and spread evenly using your fingertips. It should be thick and dough like in consistency and not sticky. If it is sticky you can either go with it and place a piece of parchment paper on top. Spread evenly and allow to set in the fridge for a couple of hours. The final consistency will be softer. Or return to the food processor and add up to 2 tbsp more (15g) of coconut flour. Add 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Allow to set in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight regardless.
- Beat together icing ingredients in a small bowl and sweeten to taste.
- Slice bars into 6.
- Spread 1/2 to 1 tsp of the icing onto each bar and sprinkle with pecan nuts.
- Store in the fridge in seal tight container for up to one week or in the freezer for up to one month.