Carrot cake smoothie
- 1 1/2 medium carrot (150g)
- 10g (thumb-size piece) ginger
- 1/2 tbsp. cashew butter or seed butter (use sunflower seed or pumpkin seed butter to make nut-free)
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 140ml cold water
- 1-2 Medjool dates (to taste) or 1/8 tsp. stevia
- 1 tbsp. instant rolled oats (gluten-free if required)
- 1/2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 100ml almond milk
- Optional: 1 tbsp. protein powder (soya bean or pea work well)
Here’s a drink Bugs Bunny would love; carrot cake smoothie!
This smoothie encapsulates the flavours of carrot cake made into a healthy drink. You have flavours of sweet nutty carrot, creamy nut (or seed) butter and fragrant warm spices. Add to that some chia seeds, wholesome oats and optional protein powder and you have a super healthy delicious smoothie.
This smoothie makes a welcome change to the acidic fruit-based ones and it is a terrific way of encouraging children (and adults!) to eat more healthily (without them knowing too!).
This smoothie can be made dairy-free using plant-based protein powder and milk, gluten-free using the appropriate oats, refined sugar-free if you use stevia and nut-free if you use seed butter. It also ticks the boxes for flavour and nutritional content; fibre (carrots, oats, chia), antioxidants (carrots, cinnamon) and good fats (nut or seed butter of choice). This smoothie also only takes minutes to prepare, making it a win win recipe in my book!
- Add all ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend to combine.
- Pour into a glass, decorate with a slice of carrot if desired and a pinch of cinnamon. Serve!