Beetroot Berry Omega Smoothie
- 200ml milk of choice (almond, hazelnut or cashew work well)
- 70g frozen strawberries
- 1 1/2 tbsp protein powder (pea and soya bean varieties work well).
- 2 tsp omega 3 superpowder
- 40g cooked beetroot (not the pickled in vinegar kind!)
- 70g frozen blueberries
- 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed or chia seeds
This beetroot and berry, omega-3 smoothie packs a nutritional punch and tastes delicious too! It is earthy from beetroot, zingy, fresh and sweet from the blueberries and strawberries and refreshing from the coconut water.
Why add beetroot to your smoothie? Beetroot is packed with so many nutrients. It is rich in nitrates which when metabolised in the body, helps reduce blood pressure (through vasolidation of blood vessels) and improve blood flow to organs so may actually boost exercise endurance/stamina (hence often eaten by athletes) and improve brain function (pass me that Suduko puzzle now!).
Beetroot also contains an amino acid called betaine, which helps to detoxify the liver and may help to decrease heart disease risk.
The purple pigment in beetroot is actually betacyanin and this may help protect against carcinogens. Beetroot is also rich in potent anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories so excellent for fighting disease. It’s high fibre content (especially insoluble fibre) helps prevent constipation and promotes a healthy digestive tract.
To boost the nutrient profile of this smoothie further and because they taste nice, I have included strawberries and blueberries (both being rich sources of vitamins C, K, minerals and anti-oxidants). Other additions are chia seeds, flaxseed and omega 3 superpowder (a mixture of acai, sacha inchi and coconut) to boost the omega 3, fibre and protein content and protein powder (plant-based sources if required).
Protein powder, chia or flax seeds and banana help make this smoothie creamy, but you could substitute for steamed sweet potato or cauliflower, tofu, cashew cream or avocado. By using plant-based milk, this smoothie can be made suitable for vegans too.
- Optional ingredients if you have run out of protein powder, to help thicken your smoothie: 1 banana (especially if sliced and frozen beforehand), tofu (25g), or soaked cashews (10g soaked in water),
- If you like it sweeter, add a Medjool date, ¼ tsp of stevia, ½ tsp agave.
- Substitute the berries for other fruit like mango, pineapple, kiwi, apple.
- Use chilled cold green tea instead of coconut water.
- Add some veg. eg. a handful of lettuce, kale or a celery stick.
- Add all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Whizz to a smooth consistency. Pour into a glass and decorate with a few blueberries. Enjoy!