Acai & Blueberry Protein Breakfast Bars
- 160g rolled oats (gluten–free if required)
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 apple, grated
- 50g goji berries
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed or chia (ground or whole seeds) or ground chia and goldenberry powder
- 360ml milk of choice (almond and coconut work well)
- 3 tbsp honey or agave or date syrup or 2 tbsp stevia
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 160g fresh blueberries
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp acai berry omega-3 superfood powder or 2 tbsp acai berry powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted or sugar-free apple sauce for a fat-free bar!
- 100g nuts and seeds of choice. (I have used 50g sunflower seeds and 50g chopped walnuts)
- 3 tbsp Pulsin Whey Protein Powder (pea and soya varieties also work well)
- 3 tbsp almond, cashew or peanut butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- To decorate: 1 tbsp desiccated coconut Handful of blueberries
No time for a healthy breakfast? Try these acai and blueberry protein breakfast bars! These bars have all the goodness of a bowl of porridge but in a portable form. Don’t be put off by the list of ingredients, they are incredibly quick and easy to make (throw all ingredients in one bowl, stir to mix and bake for 30 mins!).
These bars are packed with juicy blueberries, sweetened with apple, spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon and supplemented with flaxseed, chia, goji berries and protein powder (soya bean, pea and whey are great choices). The addition of peanut, cashew or almond butter gives these bars depth of flavour.
They are free from refined sugar or sugar-free if you use stevia. These bars offer a convenient and nutritious start to the day. Of course, they are great at other times too, but their portability make them a super choice for a grab and go breakfast, but also for the lunch-box, picnickers, hikers, commuters and gym-folk needing a pre- or post-work out snack.
These bars freeze well too, making them ideal for batch cooking. You can try using other nuts and fruits and substitute half of the milk for apple juice to make Bircher-style acai blueberry porridge bars (see below for variations).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line a rectangular baking tin measuring 8 X 11” with a little spray coconut oil.
- In a large bowl mix together all the ingredients to form a thick cake batter.
- Pour into the lined baking tin. Sprinkle desiccated coconut on top and stud with extra blueberries.
- Bake for 30 mins until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Wait until cool before slicing up into bars.
- Substitute blueberries fresh raspberries or dried goldenberries.
- Include lemon zest (from 1 lemon) and lemon juice (2tbsp) for extra zing.
- Substitute half the milk with apple juice to make a bircher –style breakfast bar
- Include 1 tsp turmeric for a spicier bar, or vitalising superpowder.
- Include 2 tbsp baobab powder for a lemony anti-oxidant burst.
- Decorate with a handful of ground almonds on top.