Sweet Potato Sundried Tomato Chilli Falafels
- 400g can of cooked chickpeas, drained
- 300g sweet potatoes
- 1/2-3/4 tsp dried chillies (depending on personal taste)
- 2 tbsp soya protein powder
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 5 tbsp chopped herbs: basil, coriander, parsley and basil work well
- If you like things spicier, add 1 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 red onion
- 50g sundried tomatoes
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Salt and pepper to taste
These sweet potato, sun dried tomato chilli falafels are tasty, quick & easy to make, gluten free, vegan and high in protein!
As these are made from scratch you can ensure there are no preservatives compared to shop bought burgers. They are also easy to make in advance and keep them in the freezer to ensure you always have a healthy meal on hand, however busy your week is.
- Peel the sweet potatoes & red onion & cut roughly. Place these into a blender or food processor along with the ground flaxseed & blitz to form coarse pieces. (this will give the felafels some texture).
- Pour contents into a bowl. Stir in the crushed garlic cloves.
- Put the drained cooked chickpeas, sundried tomatoes, chillies, tahini, lemon juice & protein powder into the blender or food processor (no need to wash from the sweet potato mixture), & whizz well to form a stiff paste.
- Combine the sweet potato mixture & chick pea mixture together. Stir in the chopped herbs of choice. Season well with salt & pepper.
- Shape into balls using your hands and then flatten into patties. Chill for at least 20 mins before pan-frying in coconut oil for 8 mins on each side.