Rhubarb & Strawberry Oat Breakfast Bars
For the Oat Base and Topping
- 200g jumbo oats
- 70g oat flour
- 25g Pulsin Pea Protein
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of Pink Himalayan Rock Salt
- 110g maple syrup
- 120g butter, melted
For the Filling
- 200g fresh rhubarb diced
- 150g frozen raspberries
- 1 - 2 tbsp maple syrup, to taste
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch + 2 tbsp water
Roasted rhubarb mingled with strawberries, if they’re not in season you can use frozen. Layer between a buttery oat crumble, these slice up beautifully and are the perfect snack or on-the-go brekkie. They’re also delicious heated up, topped with yogurt or ice cream, some toasted hazelnuts and a drizzle of maple syrup for an extra hit of sweetness.
- Mix together rhubarb and strawberries in a pot. Place over a medium heat, bring to the boil, leave to simmer for 10 minutes until the fruit is soft, tender and bubbling.
- Add maple syrup, stir to combine.
- Add arrowroot mixture, stir to combine and leave to simmer and thick for 3 -5 minutes.
- Set to one side.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together oats through to butter in a large bowl. Place ¾ of the mixture into a baking paper lined 8 inch square tray.
- Press down and spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Spread fruit filling over the top. Sprinkle over remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes; check halfway through and cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing or better still prepare in advance, store in the fridge and slice once fully cooled 2-3 hours later or the next morning.
- Store in a seal tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.