Peanut Butter Protein Doughnuts
- 50g buckwheat flour
- 20g Pulsin Brown Rice Protein
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 45g smooth peanut butter
- 90g banana puree*
- 100ml oat milk
- 50g granulated sugar of choice, coconut or raw cane sugar provide a bit more depth of flavour
- *Make sure it’s pureed ripe fresh banana or jarred, not a mashed banana, you don’t want lumps!
- 2 tbsp (20g) cocoa or raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp (14g) coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
These vegan and gluten-free healthy protein doughnuts can be whisked up in minutes and are a dinky little sweet treat that you can jazz up as much or as little as you fancy with icing and all or none of the potential toppings.
- Preheat oven to 160C (160F).
- Grease a non-stick doughnut pan with spray oil.
- Place banana, peanut butter, almond milk, apple cider vinegar and sugar into a blender or NutriBullet (or place into a large pyrex jug). Blend until smooth (use a hand blender if using jug). Add in the buckwheat flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder and vanilla extract and blend once more until smooth.
- If using banana puree you can simply whisk all the ingredients together.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the donut tray. Do not overfill as the doughnuts will rise. Leave about 1 cm above the mixture in the tray.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the tray. Use a toothpick to release the doughnuts from the edges before popping out. Cool on a wire rack.
- While the doughnuts cool mix together icing ingredients. Place into a shallow small bowl; at least the same diameter as the doughnuts!
- Place the doughnuts one at a time bottom side down (the smooth part which was facing down in the doughnut tray) into the icing.
- Lift carefully, tap of excess and place onto a baking paper lined tray icing side up.
- Sprinkle with toppings if desired...chopped peanut butter cups or peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, granola, coconut flakes, bee pollen, marshmallows, cookie crumbles etc…
- Allow glaze to set or eat straight away.
- Best consumed within 24- 48 hours. Store in a seal tight container at room temperature.