- 175g (1 medium / 6oz) yellow (not green, not brown, somewhere in between!) plantain, peeled weight
- 2 large eggs or 1/2 cup (125ml) egg whites (I used egg whites and they were awesome!)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (optional)
- 5 – 10 drops liquid stevia (optional)
- Coconut oil as needed for cooking
Protein Chocolate Caramel Ingredients
- 1 tsp (5g) raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp (10g) Whey protein isolate
- 1 tbsp (15ml) water or unsweetened almond milk, approx. (exact amount will depend on the protein powder used)
- 5 drops Dark chocolate stevia drops
When I say these pancakes are life changing I REALLY MEAN IT! Hands down the most delicious pancakes I’ve EVER eaten, paleo or not, these were truly epic! Super thick and fluffy, incredibly satisfying, owing to the starchiness of the plantain and so darn easy to make! These will definitely be on weekly rotation.
I’m not a carb fan. I don’t crave them like I do almond butter and all things coconut, most notably Coyo. I’ve been trying to introduce some alternative carb sources when I have my high carb day each week and so plantain pancakes were on my hit list. I wasn’t expecting a whole lot from them to be honest. If anything I anticipated them being a bit limp and stodgy. Far from it! I was literally blown away by how incredible they were.
The batter itself was really thick and a little gloopy. The only benefit I saw was that at least it wouldn’t spread too thin when it hit the pan but it wasn’t exactly the kind of batter you’d be licking clean from the bowl so as not to let it go to waste.
Once cooked however…mind blowingly good! They held they’re shape and size, deflating slightly once allowed to cool but somehow still so beautifully thick and fluffy in the middle. The pictures far from do them justice and I’m not sure my words truly convey just how stunning these are. I had a comment from an Instagram follower asking if she could use banana in place of the plantain. Yes banana works but they taste nothing like these; the texture is completely unrivalled!
As someone who doesn’t crave carbs, when it comes to these pancakes it’s an entirely different story. As soon as I’d finished I wanted more! I almost made more for dinner but decided not to mess with a good thing. I’ll look forward to them next week though admittedly I’m worried they might turn out quite so glorious but it’s a risk I’m willing to take!
I topped them off with my new favourite low fat high protein “caramel”. You can hardly call it a recipe but if you get the thick glossy texture just right you will die and go to heaven. I topped my pancakes off once cooled allowing the caramel to hold on to it’s thick finish. Stick the rough of your mouth goodness.
- Blend together all ingredients until smooth.
- Melt coconut oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- I used 1/3 cup measures (80ml) of the batter and made four big thick pancakes. Cook one to two pancakes at a time, four if you have a SUPER large pan!
- Cook for 3 minutes, gently flip and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- For the caramel beat together ingredients until thick, glossy and smooth in a small dish. I use a teaspoon.
- Stack pancakes and top with caramel! If you place on top of the hot pancakes it will melt and absorb into the pancakes. I prefer to spread mine; each to they’re own!