Hemp Seed Protein Porridge
- 1/4 cup (30g) ground hemp seeds
- 1 large organic egg whisked
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or pure vanilla extract
- 2 heaped tbsp (20g) whey protein concentrate
- Hemp seeds, cacao nibs, strawberries, goji berries, coconut flakes, cashew butter for topping
- 2 tbsp (15g) ground flaxseed
- 1 cup (250ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 10 drops liquid stevia or 1 tbsp organic honey
- 2 tbsp ground nuts or whole hemp seeds to stir through for texture
This high protein porridge is low carb, fruit free and super thick and creamy!
The hemp seeds provide a plenty of protein just on their own, further bolstered by an egg and a small scoop of whey protein concentrate. Plus you can add your own twist on this breakfast bowl, by picking the toppings that work for you; seeds, cacao, berries, coconut, nut butters – go crazy!
- Grind hemp seeds to a coarse meal in a high speed blender. If you don’t have a high speed blender you can use whole hemp seeds. The texutre will be just a little looser but it still works well!
- Add all ingredients with the exception of the egg and whole seeds or ground nuts to a pot, gently bring to boiling point and simmer for about 5 minutes to thicken
- Add whisked egg and stir over a low heat to cook through for 3 minutes. Keep stirring so the egg doesn’t scramble on you!
- Finally stir through your ground nuts of whole hemp seeds. I used more hemp seeds but coarsely ground cashews or almonds work well too
- Sweeten to your own taste; I like the earthiness of the hemp seeds themselves
- Serve immediately topped with toppings of choice!